FileIO runs either as an application or as an Applet that needs to run in JDK 1.5+ capable browser. Source code and sample HTML included. May be freely distributed and used for any
purpose except military.
It works by asking you 4 multiple choice questions about what you want to do. You fill in your
choices in a dialog box at it instantly generates the corresponding code that you can copy/paste and modify.
1) What is the type of the source/target?
- sequential file
- random access file
- String (in RAM i/o)
- char (in RAM i/o)
- byte (in RAM i/o)
- URL (remote i/o)
- HTTP CGI
2) Do you want to read or write?
3) Which do you want: unbuffered, buffered or
4) What is the format of the data being read or
- raw, untranslated, bulk, 8-bit bytes
- default-encoded chars (usually 8-bit)
- locale-encoded chars (usually 8-bit),
e.g. IBM-OEM Cp437
- Unicode 16-bit chars
- big-endian binary (Java standard)
- little-endian binary (Intel standard)
- serialised objects
It generates 617 possible different example programs.
You can run it online at mindprod.com/applet/fileio.html without