Earth Alerts makes use of the resources from organizations such as the National Weather Service, U.S. Geological Survey and numerous other agencies to identify what sort of things "Mother Earth" is currently doing.
To use Earth Alerts, you simply select the specific activity types (earthquakes, tsunamis, weather, etc.) and the specific locations you are interested in. The application will then automatically retrieve the latest information from various live data feeds on the Internet, and then present it to you.
* Global activity overview: earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, and tropical cyclones (typhoons, hurricanes, tropical storms, tropical depressions and other disturbances)
* United States activity overview: severe weather including special tornado and thunderstorm watches, volcanoes, wildland fires (wildfires), and landslide related hazards
* Activity for user-selected United States locations: local earthquakes; local wildland fires; local weather including NWS weather/hazard alerts, current conditions, forecasts and radar/satellite imagery
* Activity for user-selected Global locations (anywhere outside the U.S.): local earthquakes, local weather including current conditions, forecasts and satellite imagery
* Google Earth integration provides visualizations of recent earthquake events, volcanoes, tropical cyclones, wildland fires and severe weather warnings. Google Earth integration also provides high resolution views of any user-selected U.S. or Global location
* Visual and sound notifications on your Windows desktop identifying active alerts
* Email notifications of active alerts
* Mobile phone text messsage alert notifications of tsunami watches/warnings, magnitude 5.0+ earthquakes, major volcanic eruptions and tornado warnings