- The Skin Scan service will be maintained for at least another 12 months for our existing users. However, new features to help you take better care of your skin health will be released on SkinVision only.
Reinventing skin cancer prevention, Skin Scan will drastically reduce the cases in which people reach a medic when it's too late and far more expensive by bringing a revolutionary screening method to potentially everyone's home.
This application uses a proprietary mathematical algorithm to calculate the fractal dimension of the mole and surrounding skin and to build a structural map that reveals the different growth patterns of the tissues involved. By processing this map, Skin Scan is able to see if the mole has an abnormal development and to alert the user if a medical visit is required. Skin Scan automatically classifies moles into 3 categories: High risk, Medium risk and Low risk.
It is a skin cancer prevention tool that provides a risk assessment on the spot.
1) Automated risk assessment for moles
2) Fractal map of the mole/surrounding skin
3) Archive for each analyzed case
How it works:
1. from a distance of about 15-20 cm (6-7 inches) focus the mole properly and then shoot a picture with the camera!
2. using two fingers, move and scale to fit as much of the mole inside the red control square!
3. press the Use button and wait a couple of seconds for the result
4. archive the result/mole in a case to track its development
“Skin Scan is the easiest way to check your moles and their development. This idea, to analyze skin lesions by their fractal dimension, is excellent. I also used this application with my patients and the results are very encouraging.” Dermatologist Kostas Koutsioukis, member of the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD)
“It is accepted that human tissues have a fractal-like structure. Consequently, during the last decades scientists tried to classify different types of tumors by computing their fractal dimension and numerical characteristics.
Based on specific mathematical algorithms, Skin Scan is a skin cancer prevention tool which tells users when to look for a professional medical investigation. Loosely speaking, Skin Scan is an automated classification tool for potentially dangerous moles. Our team encourages the use of this modern technology that alerts users to seek medical help in time.” Ph.D. Mircea Olteanu – Mathematician
"My wife was diagnosed with melanoma 20 years ago and has undergone multiple surgeries. She screens herself daily in addition to visiting her doctor every 6 months. I use the app to monitor those hard to screen areas on her back. By no means does this app replace a doctors visit, however, this app is the next best option for a melanoma patient. From my experience, this app is consistent with the doctor's evaluations. I also use this app to screen my children who are at a 33% likelihood of developing melanoma. :( I Highly recommend this app." App Store review by iCito54