The two players can be:
- Human vs Human (hot-seat)
- Human vs AI (computer player).
The second category is notable: An API is available which coders, board game geeks, and Artificial Intelligence aficionados can use to design AI's which can compete against human players.
Although the strategy is very deep a person can learn to play without using a manual or following a tutorial. Just follow your intuition and make a few moves then watch what the computer does in response to your moves.
English and Japanese instructions are included in the game.
Differences between Simple Board Game (SBG) and The Octagon Theory (TOT):
- TOT has no ads.
- TOT has Basic & Pro game types. SBG has Basic only.
- TOT has 20, 30, & 70-turn boards. SBG has a 20-turn board only.
- TOT has multiple 4 & 8-pieces. SVG has one 4 & 8-pieces only.
NOTE If you want to play only on the iPad and mainly against another human it is recommended that you get the soon-to-be-released "The Octagon Theory TableTop" instead of "Simple Board Game" as the user interface is designed for easy play when playing against another human, the iPad is placed on a table, and the two human players sit across from each other.