This app provides decoding support for over 4,000 words, including what are sometimes called “sight words.” Videos of how the app works are available at www.sharpcuriosity.com.
The Sharp Curiosity Reading Machine gives young readers new power and gives parents and teachers a new tool for raising great readers. Now kids can spend more time reading without getting stuck on any words, as they teach themselves to read with real books, or with words from anywhere in their world. When children come to a word they don’t know, they type it in the Reading Machine. The Reading Machine doesn’t just tell them the word: first it shows them how the letters and sounds go together, so they can try figuring it out themselves.
• Created by learning scientists, parents, and a national expert on children’s reading development, the Reading Machine is like a secret decoder for unlocking printed words. Use it paired with real books – books you already own or books you’ve borrowed from the public library.
• Great for early or struggling readers.
• Lets you have more fun reading with your child because your child can use the Reading Machine to figure out words instead of having to ask you for help.
• Best for children who already know the sounds that go with each letter and can read some words, but still need help reading sentences and books.
• Comes with full decoding and phonics support for 10 best-loved, funny, early reader titles: Green Eggs and Ham, Hop on Pop, Go Dog Go, Are You My Mother, The Foot Book, Ten Apples Up On Top, Put Me in the Zoo, The Best Nest, I Wish that I had Duck Feet, and Snow.
• Also comes with decoding and phonics support for the 300 most frequent words in the English language, which cover 65% of all English reading material. Many of these words are often called “sight words.”
• From within the app you can then download free additional word support for other book sets that best fit what your child is interested in and likes to read. If you don’t already own the books, head to the public library (or your favorite book store), and you’re all set.
For more info and videos, see http://www.sharpcuriosity.com
Diana Sharp Consulting is a member of Moms with Apps, a collaborative group of family-friendly developers seeking to promote quality apps for kids and families.
Recommended Ages: 3-6, 6-10, 10+
Categories: Reading, Phonics