Fyodor Mikhaylovich Dostoyevsky (sometimes transliterated Dostoevsky, Dostoievsky, Dostojevskij, Dostoevski, Dostojevski or Dostoevskij) was a Russian writer, essayist and philosopher, known for his novels Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov. Dostoyevsky's literary output explores human psychology in the troubled political, social and spiritual context of 19th-century Russian society.
Crime and Punishment was first published in the literary journal The Russian Messenger in twelve monthly installments in 1866. It was later published in a single volume. The novel focuses on the mental anguish and moral dilemmas of Rodion Romanovich Raskolnikov, an impoverished St. Petersburg ex-student who formulates and executes a plan to kill a hated, unscrupulous pawnbroker for her money, thereby solving his financial problems and at the same time, he argues, ridding the world of an evil, worthless parasite. Several times throughout the novel, Raskolnikov justifies his actions by relating himself to Napoleon, believing that murder is permissible in pursuit of a higher purpose.
The Crime and Punishment eBook uses the established Standard Works book reader already enjoyed by thousands of users on a daily basis. It's also the same reader which powers our "U.S. Historical Documents" application which received a perfect 10/10 rating from AppCraver.com
The Standard Works book reader is simple to use, but also contains many advanced features not usually found in other eBook readers. Rather than continually flicking through little pages of text like some book readers, the Standard Works book reader displays an entire chapter or book at once for you convenience. The text can even automatically scroll for you in both portrait and landscape modes while reading. You can even highlight important words or phrases using the absolute best highlighting system available on the iPhone platform. Create notes for each paragraph which can be displayed inline and assign bookmarks to any paragraph in any book for future reference. And if that's not enough, quickly and easily find any text from any book with the fastest and most powerful search engine available on the iPhone.
The Standard Works book reader contains the following main features:
• Auto-scrolling (both variable-speed and tilt-based, portrait and landscape modes are supported)
• Adjustable fonts, size, colors, margins, spacing, and alignment (you can even adjust the font size by using a pinching gesture while reading!)
• Highlighting - 12 background colors, 12 foreground colors, bold, italic, and underline
• Night (low-light) mode - Black background with white text
• Application tips
• Bookmarks and even folders of bookmarks
• Last location in each book is remembered
• When re-launched, you're returned to the exact location you were last at while reading
• Search for words or phrases with INSTANT search results
• Powerful advanced search options
• Create notes for each paragraph which can be displayed inline
• Animated satin bookmark (similar to the one in the Classics application)
• Ability to choose the application's color theme
When you purchase this application, please take a moment and write a review for it.