Burns are among the most severe injuries of the skin, whereby children are especially at risk. A fast and objective assessment and documentation of burn degree and size is the basis for an adequate treatment.
International studies show error rates up to 50% in clinical burn surface estimation. Another drawback is medical documentation on paper, which results in information loss due to the reduction from three to two dimensions.
The research project BURNCASE 3D was initialized by burn specialists in 2003 and has been continually enhanced in cooperation with physicians and burn centers. In this software a 3D representation of the patient provides the basis for documentation of diagnosis, surgical and care procedures.
Depending on the defined sex and age BurnCase 3D suggests a standard model which is appropriate for the current patient. Subsequently, this 3D model is adapted to the actual height and weight of the patient. Thus, the size of the documented burn injuries can be exactly calculated instead of being estimated.
The PC version of BurnCase 3D is a complete burn documentation system, which offers a variety of functionalities (apart from burn size calculation):
* Ability to derive medical codes (ICD, OPS)
* Picture archive
* Acquisition of additional data (accident details, former illnesses, etc.)
* Assignment of pictures to specific wounds and body regions on the 3D model
* Superimposing pictures
* Transfer of automatically determined burn degrees (from false color pictures)
* Generation of reports
* Analysis of burn data
* Check for completeness
* HIS interface (HL7 compatible)
The mobile version offers the most important functionalities:
* Patient management
* Documentation of burns on an adapted 3D model
* Calculation of the size of the documented burns
* Calculation of the most important scores and indices
BurnCase 3D Mobile Edition therefore enables the medical staff to determine the size of burns fast, objectively and location-independently. This improves the quality of the documentation and as a consequence influences the burn treatment positively.
Note: The Lite version of BurnCase 3D Mobile Edition is restricted to one patient with unalterable height and weight and only two standard models.